Garment Making Basics. Make the Cuff Top. 21st + 22nd March 2020
Make your own Cuff Top!
This is a two day class to get you started making your own clothes. This class is designed for those of you who want to learn how to make garments - you may have other sewing experience such as patchwork or quilting; perhaps you haven't sewn for a while and would like to get back into it; or maybe you have dabbled a little with your sewing machine but would like to get stuck into creating your own me-made garment?
You will be making the simple yet elegant and timeless Cuff Top
In this class you'll learn how to:
- read and prep a garment sewing pattern
- select the correct size
- prep and cut out your fabric
- basic construction techniques
- finishing seams
- sewing a neck facing
- inserting elastic.
This class is being taught by Aimee Davoren who is a professional tailor and milliner who has spent her career working in both apparel manufacturing and bespoke tailoring. We are now lucky enough to have her located here in Greytown to share her amazing depth of skill and talent with you.
This workshop focuses on garment making techniques - Aimee will help you select your correct size, but the workshop doesn't cover altering the pattern to fit. The Cuff Top pattern is a loose fit top, please ensure you are happy to make a top within the pattern size range. See image for details.
- The class will be held at the beautiful sewing studio incorporated into the Miss Maude store in Greytown. An inspiring and well appointed space to stitch alongside others
- Two days of expert tuition: 9.30am - 4pm each day.
- Cuff Top printed pattern
- Morning and afternoon tea both days
- You will need to bring your own sewing machine and be confident in using it. We will be using the straight and zig zag stitches.
- Please bring your own sewing tools - scissors (for paper and fabric), pins, needles, thread,
- Pre washed and ironed fabric - see fabric requirements here. We recommend a stable cotton or linen. Please get in touch if you'd like help to select your fabric.
- 30mm-50mm wide elastic x 1m; thread to match your fabric; 25cm of lightweight interfacing. These can all be purchased at the store on the day if needed.
- There will be a 30 minute break for lunch each day - please bring your own, or you can select from a range of local Greytown cafes and the supermarket which are within walking distance of the store.
Saturday night dinner:
- We'd love you to join us for dinner at a local Greytown restaurant on the Saturday night. This will be at your own cost, but we can make a group booking for class participants. A lovely option to get to know the other makers in your class a little better, and a nice option if you are travelling solo. Please select this choice below when you book the class, and please note any dietary requirements.
- This class is limited to six participants
- Please note that if you choose to cancel your booking for this class, the class fee is non-refundable. You are, however, able to transfer your place to someone else. Please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org if this is the case.